Momentary Freedom When in Quarantine
I've lost track of time.
My daily planner had been empty for months since March, aka the month when quarantine started. This had never happened to me because making plans and to-do list is my thing. So when school started two weeks ago, I opened the notebook, held a pen in my hand, went through the calendar, and tried my best to fill in the blank pages as if I would be able to pick up the lost time.
Here are some things that jump out of my mind that make me feel momentarily free when stuck in my apartment in Worcester for the past six months.
- Me and my husband: "we are in quarantine :("
My dog: "I'm on vacation!"
If I rank my family members from the happiest to the saddest during the summer, it would be:
1. Bingbing: I'm so excited every day!😛
2. my husband: I can still endure.😟
3. me: let me out!!!💣
My dog Bingbing (meaning cookie in Chinese) is having the best time in his life. He is sweet and super NEEDY. There are only two things he wants from us is attention and treat! And he has been getting plenty of both.
Before the quarantine, we would go to school at least half of the day, and return home pretty late at night. Bingbing would give me this " I can't believe you leave me alone at home" look every time when we stepped out of the door. I guess any dog owner would be related to the feeling of regret, and simply wish they can spend more time with their dog.
I haven't seen that look for a long time, because we rarely go out anymore! Bingbing now likes to sleep next to us on the couch, never stay too far.
2. Catching up on my readings
Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan novel has been on my reading list forever. Generally, I try to stay away from voluminous books. I tend to finish reading the whole series without a break. And when the world is running on a regular routine, that is a luxurious experience to enjoy. Guess what, the irregular quarantine gave me the freedom to just dive in without worrying about anything. I don't have a to-do list anymore, remember?
For the whole month of August, I emptied my mind for her books and was just immersed in Elena and Lila's life-long story. I have to say, Ferrante's writing gave me quite some emotional shocks, I kept changing my position trying to defend one of the girls. Sometimes, I even feel anger for the terrible life decisions they made.
This emotional reading experience would not be possible if I'm still spinning on my regular routine.
Many other wonderful things happened during this special period of time, I saw a meteor shower for the first time in my life, went to Acadia National Park for a beautiful day of hiking, and fundamentally improved my cooking skills. I guess one lesson I learned from quarantine is to be grateful to even the tiniest happiness in life.





What a lovely dog! Keeping a pet will bring a lot of fun to our daily life.
ReplyDeleteIt was really boring to be in quarantine, even in China, where 99% of the roads were blocked and all travel was subject to various tests and identity verification.
During this period, in order to kill time, I watched dozens of films and a large number of documentaries.
Your dog is so cute! He must have been happy with all the extra time you are able to spend with him during quarantine. I hear you on being pretty bored during the past few months, it seems like everyday is deja vu. Being able to get immersed in some books must be nice, I know it's sometimes hard to do that when life is not on a halt and everyone seems to be so busy.
ReplyDelete